Friday, October 12, 2007

Vacation: In which MonkeyGirl remembers that she hates tourist traps, children and restaurants

I had a big long diatribe typed out detailing everything that happened in the last week, but it was just a bunch of bitching and whining.

It boiled down to this.

1. $120 bucks doesn't guarantee a decent hotel room.

2. Every server at every restaurant we went to sucked. But I still tipped 20%. Just in case they were just having a bad day. All of them. For three days.

3. The more you pay for food, the more you notice when it sucks. And if you have to eat out, your chance of the food sucking increases exponentially.

4. As far as nature is concerned, no matter how beautiful something is, all it takes is a black light and some glow in the dark paint to turn it into a cheesy touristification of something that used to be beautiful. Or colored lights and dramatic music. *sigh* What a waste.

5. No matter how much you wish the opposite to be true, 6 year-old brats will be exactly that.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree about service people... Most often they suck. Of course, I would NEVER want that job, so I try not to complain about it too much. I never complain about the service while I'm eating either (cuz I've seen those videos where they think your food is their personal body waste receptacle if ya do), but I will complain afterward to the manager. I went to a wedding rehearsal dinner last week and was just so astonished at good service and friendly service!

Sorry your trip sucked, but a belated Happy Birthday.

Sheila in Ohio
(P.S. Go Bucks!)

Azathoth100 said...

See, and this is why I don't travel much!

scalpel said...

There are usually one or two happy memorable moments nestled amongst the cranky outbursts from the brats. That's what makes the trip worthwhile.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

betty said...

If you had come to see me...I would have gladly taken care of the 6 year old so you could go out and have a nice birthday dinner!! I realize I live 2,000 miles away...but still the offer stands!

Purple Daisy said...

4. As far as nature is concerned, no matter how beautiful something is, all it takes is a black light and some glow in the dark paint to turn it into a cheesy touristification of something that used to be beautiful. Or colored lights and dramatic music. *sigh* What a waste.

You must have gone to Rock City & Ruby Falls in Chattanooga.

Nurse K said...

I was thinking she meant Niagara Falls...

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, I bet you're real pleasant to be around too!

MonkeyGirl said...

Actually, Anonymous Jackass, I am a sweet, kind, loving individual who is a geniune joy to spend time with.

So Bite Me.

MonkeyGirl said...

How sad that I can't spell genuine.

*sigh*

Typos ruin rants.

911DOC said...

hahhaha,
you must have gone to mount rushmore or something. gotta get to the actual monument to not be completely cheesified and appalled.