Thursday, September 6, 2007

Corny

This is a post about popcorn.

It seems that that there is a chemical in microwave popcorn called diacetyl. It's specifically part of the artificial butter flavoring. It's been judged to be dangerous enough to the factory workers making said microwave popcorn that ConAgra Foods is pulling it from their recipes.

The catalyst for this action is apparently a 53 year-old man from CO named Wayne Watson, who has contracted himself the first documented case of "Popcorn Lung". His habit of inhaling the butter-flavored steam from freshly popped bags of popcorn twice a day for ten years has given him hypersensitivity pneumonitis and bronchiolitis obliterans.

Gives new meaning to the words....

....wait for it....



LUNG BUTTER.

7 comments:

mielikki said...

ROFL
'Lung Butter', that's priceless.

Mother Jones RN said...

OMG!!!! I'm dying, here. ROFL!!!!! Too funny.

Em said...

While I don't know what the term "lung butter" means, I can't help wondering who the heck makes a habit of inhaling the fumes from a popcorn bag twice a day for 10 freaking years. Does that seem wierd to anyone but me?? I mean, I like the smell of buttery popcorn as much as the next person, but I don't stand there and inhale it on a committed regular basis!! =)

X-Ray Geek said...

mmmmmm....Lung Butter.....(just think Homer Simpson)

I'm so excited it is finally an official medical term!! I'm not nuts for using it!!

codeblog said...

Wow, you really went there :)

Ha!! Funny.

NYC EMS said...

I can hear it now..........

Paramedic 1....It could be a Pneumpthorax!

Paramedic 2...Himmm maybe popcorn lung.

lol

Lynn Price said...

Great. Now I've laughed up my lung.